How is Motion Control Making Its Mark In Multiple Industries Propelling Automation
Machines and production lines that can be quickly and readily adapted to accommodate various formats, sizes, product types, and production workflows are necessary for custom products. The ability to manage and regulate the motion of electrically controlled machine axes using a precise, dynamic, and simple-to-implement system solution is increasingly becoming a differentiator.
What is Motion Control?
Using rotary and linear actuators, motion control is basically the process of moving machinery. A motion control device, such as a linear actuator, electric motor, hydraulic pump, or a servo motor, is used to regulate the position or velocity of machines in this automation subfield. All technology relating to the movement of things falls under motion control.
Motion control, which is used in industrial operations to move specified loads in a controlled manner, is also known as servo control or robotics. A motion control system comprises a control, a drive, a motor, and a load.
Industrial Developments Influencing Growth Trajectory
The use of robotics has increased at a significant rate in manufacturing facilities. They are deployed for material handling, processing operations, and assembly & inspection. Robotics makes use of many motion control solutions for proper functionality. The demand for industrial robots is growing as they help in reducing the complexity of manufacturing processes.
● Governments all over the world have implemented a variety of measures that favor automation to increase energy efficiency while drastically lowering expenses. For instance, Malaysia's government unveiled its National Industry 4.0 Policy (Industry4WRD). Around 1.2 billion dollars were set aside in the budget to support the company's adoption of Industry 4.0. Under the name of the Industry Digitalization Transformation Fund, a total of USD 720 million from the authorized budget was given to promote the adoption of smart technologies including robotics, automation, and artificial intelligence (AI). Under the Business Credit Guarantee Program (SJPP), almost USD 480 million was allotted for SMEs aiming to engage in automation and modernization.
● The expansion of trends like digital twins, edge computing, and predictive manufacturing is also creating a market for advanced motion control devices, in addition to the rising trend of warehouse automation. The use of robots in automation has become a significant global trend. Robots are becoming a crucial part of manufacturing sophisticated automobiles. AGVs and collaborative robots are increasingly popular in the manufacturing sector, and companies like Amazon are also expanding significantly.
● Also, the Industry 4.0 Implementation program was introduced in January 2021 by the Information Technology Industry Development Agency (ITIDA) in conjunction with the "Egypt Makes Electronics" EME Initiative and service provider Fraunhofer IPK Germany. The effort aims to replace conventional manufacturing processes and mechanisms for electronics and household appliances with industry 4.0 techniques and procedures. The industry must undergo a qualitative shift in order to remain competitive on the global stage. The market under study is also benefiting from these activities.
● The ION/CME N-Series Digital Drives, new members of the ION Digital Drive family that offer high-performance motion control, network connectivity, and amplification, were made available in May 2021 by Performance Motion Devices, Inc. (PMD), a producer of motion control ICs, modules, and boards. A proprietary, ultra-rugged PCB-mountable package with three power output levels—75, 300, and 1,000 watts—is a feature of N-Series ION digital drives. Brushless DC, DC Brush, and step motors are supported by all ION/CME N-Series Digital Drives.
Gaming Industry Creating Revenue Opportunities
Production of various gaming devices has surged as a result of the boom in gaming product demand. It is anticipated that the widespread use of gaming controllers in different types of gaming equipment will greatly increase sales of motion control systems.
After ten years after its debut, the Nintendo Wii released a new edition of Legend of Zelda in June 2021 along with several updates. Now that the game is fully motion-controlled, players get a better gaming experience and may communicate with the system by moving their bodies.
Also, the majority of gaming systems come with handheld hardware controllers and a console camera that monitors the user's movements. Motion control system demand is anticipated to increase as the manufacture of handheld hardware controllers and gaming consoles like the Play Station increases.
The Oil and Gas Industry Continues To Take Advantage of Motion Controllers
Oil and gas companies are currently confronted with a number of problems relating to operational performance, the total cost of ownership (TCO), energy efficiency, and safety in upstream and downstream processes. Efficiency can greatly lessen the industry's impact because it not only produces oil and gas but also utilizes it in its operations.
Energy production from more delicate and difficult situations is growing more complex as traditional hydrocarbon energy resources are depleted. The oil and gas industry is adopting motion control and motor systems at an unprecedented rate as it focuses on energy efficiency. The sector works to maintain the oil and gas supply while cost-effectively resolving issues with energy security and the environment.
Many compressor stations turn the centrifugal compressor using motion control mechanisms like servo motors. A specialized speed governor controls the fuel valves and other turbine controls for turbine-driven compressors to ensure efficiency. Systems using IIOT that are sensor-driven for servo motors can do this role.
Also, a lot of oil and gas companies are investing more in predictive maintenance in order to attain much lower CAPEX, which is expected to further boost demand for motors and drives. For instance, the state-owned oil business of Abu Dhabi, ADNOC, worked with AVEVA during the pandemic to reduce downtime through preventative maintenance using the firm's predictive asset analytics system.
● Over 10 million tags have already been included in ADNOC's management and monitoring systems. Due to the deployment of the new motor and drive-based control system, the company anticipates a rise in the number. The company projects that optimization will save CAPEX between $60 and $100 million.
In addition, Indian Oil Corp (IOC), India's top fuel retailer, announced the introduction of the nation's first remote monitoring and motion control system for oil refinery turbines at the conclusion of the second pandemic wave. Specialists from General Electric, BHEL, and Indian Oil collaborated to develop automated anomaly detection using proactive predictive analytics. With the use of this technology, the Remote Monitoring and Motion Controlling Center in Hyderabad will be able to continuously examine the operational data for the 27 gas turbines at the eight Indian Oil refineries located around the country.
Motion control systems deal with the dynamic flow of both energy and information through a system. They can be effective and beautiful systems that provide amazing capabilities in consumer goods and lab automation systems with the right design and component selection.